Detox Bath (Crazy Kid Approved)
It's that time of day... where no matter how hard you tried to run the wiggles out of your child they STILL melt down. I equate it to a rabid dog, or if you have a high level diva like my sweet girl there is just the tears over ANYTHING. MOMMA NEEDS A MOMENT.. and possibly an at home deliverance system for whatever is happening to her child because this my friend is NEXT LEVEL meltdown.
Well, I don't have the answer (sorry for the disappointment), BUT I do have some relief to help take the edge of the cray- cray.
A detox bath. I know. Detox for your toddler, man-child (either your boy or husband ;) ), you're probably thinking they haven't been into anything crazy-- so why a DETOX BATH?
Well here is the reality: No matter how great we try to feed our kids, care for them, and try and provide the ultimate best environment their little bodies still are exposed to toxins.
Toxins are chemicals that have harmful effects on the body. Literally they are found everywhere, from different foods we eat (because not everyone fixes there babes perfect food, or is just my toddler that loves to indulge in the healthy, beautiful Chickfila french fry?), soaps, lotions, cleaning products, detergents, etc.
The primary filtration system your body excretes and processes these things is the liver. The liver collects toxins and transforms the toxins into... number two. (forreal) Many other organs are involved as well, including your skin, lungs and kidneys.
These are your body’s natural methods of detox when you are in good health. Your body’s systems are effective and efficient until they are overloaded with toxins–then TILT!
Indications of a Toxin Overdose
Your body stores excess toxins in the liver, fat cells, brain cells, and nerve cells.
- muscle and joint pain
- flu-like symptoms
- allergic reactions, including hives, stuffy or runny nose
- sneezing and coughing
- DIVA (oh sorry, just me?)
So lets get to it.
So obviously this epsom salt you can buy anywhere, but I will warn you that it has some additives so the 'thinkdirty' app rates it at a 10, so if you are looking for a high quality epsom salt you can purchase one like this
To create your basic epsom salt bath:
1/4C of Baking soda (if water is unfiltered)
2C of Epsom salt of your choice
Mix together and bathe (I always just let her play as long as she could possibly want on detox days)
- Don’t wash your children’s hair on detox bath night! The coconut/olive oil makes it very greasy and hard to get out.
- Don’t wash their body with any soaps or harsh cleansers with chemicals. Their pores are open and you want them to absorb the magnesium and oils. I recommend using something like Dr. Bronner’s Baby Soap or a bar of castile soap if you must wash them. Otherwise skip the soap.
- Try to keep them in the bath for 20 minutes to get all the benefits of the bath.
- Lather them up, if you wish, with a natural moisturizer like coconut oil. I add in a few drops of lavender and give them a light massage as I’m putting on their clothes.
- Give them some water or leave some beside their bed. Detox baths can make you thirsty.
- Cuddle on the couch and read a good book before kissing them goodnight! Magnesium promotes sleep so they should sleep very good for you!
Favorite Baths Involving my Fave Essential Oils:
Immune Detox Bath:
Add 5 drops each of the following oils- Frankincense, Thieves, Lemon
Sleepytime (Or FORREAL PIPE DOWN) Bath ;) : 5 drops of Cedarwood, Peace and Calming, Lavender
IF you don't own any of these or want more information, contact me here.
ENJOY MOMMA! (Take one yourself too!!)